Friday, February 17, 2017

Refugees


Between July 2011 and mid-2012, a severe drought affected the entire East Africa region. Said to be "the worst in 60 years", the drought caused a severe food crisis across Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Kenya that threatened the livelihood of 9.5 million people. 

Many refugees from southern Somalia fled to neighboring Kenya and Ethiopia, where crowded, unsanitary conditions together with severe malnutrition led to a large number of deaths. 

Other countries in East Africa, including Sudan, South Sudan and parts of Uganda, were also affected by a food crisis.

Why did it happen?     

Weather conditions over the Pacific, including an unusually strong La NiƱa, have interrupted seasonal rains for two consecutive seasons. The rains failed in 2011 in Kenya and Ethiopia, and for the previous two years in Somalia. 

The lack of rain led to crop failure and widespread loss of livestock, as high as 40%–60% in some areas, which decreased milk production as well as exacerbating a poor harvest. 

As a result, cereal prices rose to record levels while livestock prices and wages fell, reducing purchasing power across the region. 


The crisis is compounded by rebel activity around southern Somalia from a terrorist group.

Some reports of 260,000 deaths from the drought in Somalia alone between 2011–2012. 

Within the camps, infant mortality had risen threefold in the few months leading up to July 2011. The overall mortality rate was 7.4 out of 10,000 per day, which was more than seven times as high as the "emergency" rate of 1 out of 10,000 per day.

By 15 September 2011, more than 920,000 refugees from Somalia had reportedly fled to neighboring countries, particularly Kenya and Ethiopia.
 At the height of the crisis in June 2011, the United Nations base in Dadaab, Kenya hosted at least 440,000 people in three refugee camps, though the maximum capacity was 90,000.


More than 30 percent of children were suffering from acute malnutrition; more than two adults or four children were dying of hunger each day for every group of 10,000 people.
Credit: New York Times

Here is a 4 minute video about the drought in the Horn of Africa. 
Watch this two minute video to fully understand the difference between a refugee and an internally displaced person. 
Here are three blog posts written by my daughter a few years ago when she worked for World Vision. They are very short so take the time to read all three. Make sure to click "Read More" so that you can read each one in its entirety. 
The current state of the Dadaab Refugee Camp in Kenya. 
Comment: Can you put yourself in Michele's shoes and imagine how she felt as she interviewed refugees and came face to face with girls who were her own age who had lived through such sadness?

8 comments:

  1. I cant even fathom how difficult it would be to be in that situation. I dont think anybody can put themselves in her shoes unless they have been through something simaler

    ReplyDelete
  2. The famine is so tragic. I cried at Falima’s story. It saddens me to here about all their suffering, and like Lauren said I find it extremely hard to put myself in their shoes because I will live a life where I will never experience extreme hunger. It is just super sad what people the same age as us are going through in other countries. It would also be extremely devastating to watch your family or children struggle to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Evan. It would be extremely devastating to watch my family go through hunger and pain to survive

      Delete
  3. I cannot image what it must have been like to have that opportunity, talking to the refugees, and hearing their stories. It would be hard to comprehend everything they have struggled through, coming from a place where everything that I need is provided for me. If I were to attempt to put myself in Michele's shoes, I would feel so much heartbreak and sorrow for them, but at the same time, so much love and compassion. I am beyond blessed growing up where, and how, I do. I wish that I could adopt everyone from Somalia, Kenya, and all the other countries in anguish, and give them the same life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be heartbreaking to be there and hear those tragic stories. I can't imagine how hard it would be to not be angered and be completely deflated the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be heart wrenching to listen to her stories. We don't realize how blessed we are here. I read these stories about a woman who is only 10 years older than me and has lived more than I ever will. The endurance she has astounds me. Having to take care of 5 young children all by yourself while also trying to trek across a country? That would take so much patience, hope, and endurance. It makes me sad to see all of the children starving and the people hurting. It almost makes me mad to think that we spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to make movies and pay athletes and actors when we could use that money to help other people live at all. Imagine how much we could help if we used that money to send supplies and help to those countries! We spend so much on our own personal entertainment while there are people out there not even knowing if they are going to eat today. I'm not saying the whole country is heartless; I know we help, but I feel like we could do more. If only this country could chose to live a little more simply so that someone else can simply live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might be a good idea just to go to the refugees camp and see the harsh conditions. You could picture yourself in that same situation and thank God and be grateful to Him that you have a place to sleep and eat. It’s a comfort to know that you won’t starve. In other words, I can picture myself in Michele’s shoes but it is very hard and difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel that talking to someone who is the same age as you and has been through so much more than you would be sobering. I have talked to elderly people and heard testimony's of the hardships the have gone through in their lives, But to hear such a traumatic and tragic experience from someone who has lived the same amount of years as you would be extremely sobering and eye widening.

    ReplyDelete